Saturday, November 16, 2013

Panglossian

What did Panglossian inspire?

adjective; meaning "Naively or unreasonably optimistic,
Of or relating to the view
that this is the best
of all possible worlds.”








it’s across the old pond
just past the mud and the bridge

you know

where we danced after snow fights
&&& cut diamonds in fresh ice

there were better proposals to come
less honesty                 less promise

more last ditch effort
and the taste of old news

those were never here
that would be somewhere
500 miles to the north
our story didn’t go that far

not yet, soon

but here was unscathed still
there were no ditches
we had yet to dig them
this was before

before the boxes came to ship my things away
while yours stayed still unpacked

that was a whole year away

we still had coffee dates,
i dare you to eat that whole cake,
can we sleep on this hill, left
before we got to the

whatever came next

filling train stations
with maybepleasemaybe
this isn’t goodbye
but, of course, it was

[ thank the gods. ]

and this was before
i saw the well in our fare

when panglossian hopes
clutched to our skin.
strangled off by fictions
of all nighters,
and 5 am

a world where we escaped

when I held tight to a camera
from a trip out west

when you, here
was my favorite subject

in our shared hoodie
blond hair against the setting sky
and the wooden slats creaking
just shy of too loud

this was asking
can we get married here

and you asking why

this was me saying

we’re between the weeping willows
and mumbling about Shakespeare
with fresh picked flowers in my hair

this was when you understood

when you dropped your books

and grabbed my wrists

and said yes yes

until you left me with no

and this is me saying
i don’t need the creaking wood

or the willows grasping
at a white dress

because you asked me
to stop running
when I need someone
to run with.




No comments:

Post a Comment