Saturday, February 22, 2014

Kantikoy

What did Kantikoy inspire?

noun; meaning "to dance as an act worship,
or in festivity."





The pounding rhythm,
The beating heart,
The time draws near,

The time to start.
When gods of old,
Shall go to war,
On wings of wind,
To fly and soar.

Strike up the drum,
And take to dance,
In kantikoy,
In song, in trance.


From skies of black,
Come forth the light,
The clashing swords,
The fiery night.

In one swift move,
The battle won,
For both sides’ death
Shall raise the sun.

And when the story

Now is old,
Then shall it all
Again unfold.

The battle of life,
Of death, and rebirth,
When gods and men,
Did roam the earth.



You told me, in snatches coming through between the speakers, that I could be your new religion. I didn’t believe you. Still don’t. But you took me by the hand too fast for words to whisper past these stolen lips. Weaving in and out around the dancing lights, I could feel the beats in my chest and your hands on my hips. And it was addicting.

It must have been for you two, so willing to fight for someone who never agreed to be yours. Always laughing in the faces of the others, as if they held something less than you. Most held more. But your cutting words and strike-me-down eyes brought them to their knees before I could cut in. Cut out. Cut away from you. Once on their knees, you just hacked them down. Didn’t matter. I wouldn’t have saved them anyway. I had better things to do. The air twisted loud against my ears and I twirled as far as I could before arms pulled me back in.

I whispered how you were offensive, I could do better. I whispered so you wouldn’t hear me, but somehow, in your eyes, I knew you had. Or maybe you finally meant to strike-me-down-too. You held me tighter and tasted like lies. You thought you knew the steps in our kantikoy better than the rest. Of course you did. You were making it up. Even I found cause to stumble. And I was the goddess in this tale. 

 I was the goddess in this tale. It came to me just like that.

And the next offered hand,

I grabbed and held,

Letting new steps lead me away,

Before more filth

Could fall from your mummer’s lips.


and I dance better without you anyway.



No comments:

Post a Comment