Friday, February 7, 2014

Olid

What did Olid inspire?

adjective; meaning "evil-smelling,
fetid.”



It was not my fault,
It was not my fate,
I turned that corner,
And it was too late.

The olid clouds,
The coiling smoke,
Dangerous words,
Her red lips bespoke.

Come into my parlour,
Come taste my fine wine,
Words and breaths,
Of smoke intertwine.

I have many liquors,
And delights to entice,
You show me your payment,
I’ll tell you the price.

Such lusty desires,
Satin and silk,
These are the dreams,
Of one of my ilk.

I’ll give you my riches,
Both silver and gold,
For just those brief moments,
To have and to hold.

But away from the eyes,
That pry and that peer,
That’s where we’ll away to,
My ruby lipped dear.

 
And my riches are hers,
For the touch of her skin,
And the flames they rise up,
A deep burning within.

The flames they consume,
And render to dust,
Consumed by my passions,
Destroyed by my lust.

And she sits in her parlour,
Smoke mixing with breath,
The lady, a dragon,
And I’m burning to death.


Noël Coleman


There are things they don't tell you.
They don't tell you that she'll bite your hand the first day, and split your lip two weeks later.

There are no warning labels for how often she'll pee on your carpet
(more than you'd like)
or run away
 (around the house,
                      in the snow,
 just when a car drives by).

No one bothers to mention how your heart pounds when you think she might be gone.

 Or your head pounds when she won't stop barking at - OH MY GOD, IT'S JUST THE WIND. STOP.

They don't tell you how expensive groomers are.                             Or vets.

Or the olid variety of emissions she releases if she gets excited           or nervous                                                                                                 or had too many treats or...                    really, just when she exists.

Which is good

They shouldn't tell you these things.

Because then you would miss the way she imitates a horse when she wants food.
The way she learns how to cuddle without taking up       the         whole         bed.
Which is a lie, 
she just learns to wait until you’re asleep to            push         for more           room       .

You might miss out on the soft fur on her ears and the face she makes when you scratch them      right 
                                                              there.

You would miss out on knowing you make her happy because she doesn't want you to even be in a different room.

The way she wiggles her whole body
because one little tail can't express what it's like to not see you for ONe WhOLe HoUR.

You'd miss walking in on her cuddling with the fluffy, more-show-less-hound dog you already had. Despite pretending they wanted nothing to do with each other.

Or waking up to realize they've both picked your face as their pillow.

You would miss sneezing because you really are allergic to dog hair no matter how often you deny it.

You would miss her.


But it's better than missing out on her.


No comments:

Post a Comment