Saturday, March 29, 2014

Perpetuity

What did Perpetuity inspire?

noun; meaning "endless duration,
uninterrupted existence."




Oh let me ponder,
In perpetuity,
The ways in which,
To dispose,
Of a corpse. 
Cement,
Or sandbags,
Such incongruity,
To dig a deep ditch,
Or use knives,
and forks.

The perpetuity of the picture is in the death of the moment
it’s an action of freezing and pressing and capturing
there’s a way of making the now become the always
that kills faster than a sharp knife against thin skin
and it’s something like becoming aware
like when you look too long in the mirror
realizing you are more than the body reflected
and suddenly, the body is desensitized.
the perpetuity of all things is what kills them
“hey, remember that time when…”
and suddenly the moment is back, frozen.
I remember when my bathroom sink exploded
and water went everywhere even as
my hands turned red from holding the cold flow back
my eyes turned black from feeling the pressure fight
it was a moment, an experience uncaptured
and that meant it could change.
every recall can be from a different angle,
a new fact, whether actual or misremembered, can be introduced
in 5 years, I might forget that it was my left eye
I might forget that it was 25 minutes
before we found the shutoff
I might forget how I used all the towels sopping up the floor
not to saving one for myself, standing drenched and cold
or I might have
before I wrote this down, capturing it
each click of the keyboard \a reflection \against the snap of the picture
killing it slowly, freezing it and keeping it
never to change
slowly; but killing it all the same.


No comments:

Post a Comment